Financial Capability by State
To view survey data, select a state from the menu below:
Choose a state from the map above or View National Results
Gauge your financial knowledge—take the quiz and compare your score with the averages in specific states or the nation overall.
New & Newsworthy
- November 2019: New issue brief from the FINRA Foundation on the financial capability of veterans.
- October 2019: New report from GFLEC and the FINRA Foundation on the financial literacy of investors.
- Podcasts: Join us as we discuss the financial capability of Americans.
- June 2019: The new NFCS State-by-State report and data set are now available. Check out The State of U.S. Financial Capability.
- USA Today: View a series of articles published by USA Today, in collaboration with the FINRA Foundation, highlighting the financial struggles many Americans face.
- Using NFCS Data: Watch and learn how the NFCS can advance your research and teaching.
- NFCS Research Award: The 2019 NFCS Research Award was presented to Sunwoo Lee.
About the FINRA Foundation
Established in 2003 by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the FINRA Investor Education Foundation empowers underserved Americans with the knowledge, skills and tools to make sound financial decisions throughout life.
Data and Methodology
To broaden the conversation on financial capability, the FINRA Foundation invites academic and policy researchers and others interested, to further explore research implications with access to full datasets, questionnaires, executive summaries, and methodology.